Friday, December 5, 2008

Wal-Mart ‘R Us

When I sat down to write my article this week, I felt the need to stray away from my usual department to write something closer to home. I normally write for science, but it seemed like all my articles were the same, so I decided to change for the week. We were told to try to think of an article that relates to the season, so I started to think of maybe scientific toys. That got me thinking about Toys ‘R Us and how when I drove by it the other day, the parking lot was empty. What is the source of this downfall?

When I was a kid, the greatest thing to do when running errands with my mom was when she took me to Toys ‘R Us. It was such a great store and I had fun looking at the toys and playing with them. I have not been in Toys ‘R Us in awhile, but I often drive by. The parking lot is always empty and until recently, I thought nothing of it. As I drive further down Route 1, I pass Wal-Mart. Then it hit me, Wal-Mart sells toys cheaper and is a one-stop place to pick up everything. This is very convenient, but what about the joy of going to a toy store?

 When I go in Wal-Mart, I am bored and I feel like I am in a store, not a fun place for kids. Wal-Mart may be convenient for parents, but a bore for kids. I think it is a shame that Wal-Mart has been taking all of the toy business away because it is taking away from kids what I enjoyed so much as a kid. Eventually, Toys ‘R Us won’t exist and children will have no fun place to buy and play with toys. I understand that Wal-Mart is a better business and has more of a variety of items; I am just disappointed in the way that the times are changing. 

No comments: